[Openswan Users] VPN working only one direction

Kevin Kizer kkizer at lgdpc.com
Fri May 15 16:52:31 EDT 2009

The remote vpn device is a Netgear FVS318 so I can't do a verify....

Here are the verify results on the Main office side as well as the error when trying to ping the remote sites internal interface.

PING 192.168.101.199 (192.168.101.199) from 192.168.100.1 eth1: 56(84) bytes of data.
>From 216.180.14.110 icmp_seq=0 Destination Net Unreachable
>From 216.180.14.110 icmp_seq=8 Destination Net Unreachable
>From 216.180.14.110 icmp_seq=9 Destination Net Unreachable

--- 192.168.101.199 ping statistics ---
16 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 14999ms
, pipe 2
[root at mail etc]# ipsec verify
Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.4.14/K2.6.18-93.cc4 (netkey)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [OK]
NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP send_redirects       [FAILED]

  Please disable /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/send_redirects
  or NETKEY will cause the sending of bogus ICMP redirects!

NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP accept_redirects     [FAILED]

  Please disable /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/accept_redirects
  or NETKEY will accept bogus ICMP redirects!

Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)               [OK]
Checking that pluto is running                                  [OK]
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding            [OK]
Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing
Checking for 'ip' command                                       [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]
Opportunistic Encryption Support                                [DISABLED]