[Openswan Users] NAT for packets going into an openswan tunnel

Frank Wilson frank.wilson at sidonis.com
Fri May 15 04:43:20 EDT 2009

Thanks for your reply. In fact, all I needed to do was
modify some default firewall rules that came with my distro.
I needed to explicitly FORWARD traffic from my LAN interface
to the ipsec interface aswell as doing the NAT (I'm using
openWRT "whiterussian").

With NETKEY, if you have the leftsubnet limited to just the
vpn gateway (i.e. leftsubnet=VPN_GATEWAY_IP/32). Then as long
as you have /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward = 1 it will automatically
forward and NAT any packets from machines that are using
the openswan host as a gateway for the remote network. If you
are having difficulty setting this up I can give you an example
config.

Frank