[Openswan Users] IPSec Hardware Acceleration

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Mar 20 17:46:58 EDT 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, hiren joshi wrote:

> I am interested in enhancing IPSec thruput of KLIPS stack.
>
> Could anyone please share their experiences on this?
>
> 1. Which card to prefer which can give plug-and-play kind of
> integration (I am looking at gigabit thruput rates). My host system
> runs on linux-2.6.16.13
> 2. How does it hook up with KLIPS (OCF, non OCF)
> 3. Any performance data of the accelerated system
> 4. Any other (pros/cons) of the reference system
>
> I am at a very early stage - and am evaluating options of cards that
> can give me gigabit rates and easily integrate with Openswan/KLIPS.

Usually acceleration makes more sense with slower systems. If you want
to go this fast, your best bet is probably to just get some Intel Core 2 Quad
system.

I think Intel and HiFN are probably the most tested accelerators (well and
some of the broadcom stuff for mips, but that won't give you gigabit :)

Perhaps David can tell you more....