[Openswan Users] multiple tunnels road-warriors/net-to-net and l2tp/non-l2tp

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sun Mar 15 22:28:12 EDT 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Bob Miller wrote:

> In both cases, I believe it should be possible to build a second tunnel
> that does not require the l2tp portion of the setup, so as to allow
> another firewall or road warrior to connect without using l2tp.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for me.

It should work.

> I suspect, but cannot find proof, that one source of the problem lies in
> the right=%any clause.  In the case of where I was trying to build a
> net-to-net tunnel beside the road warrior tunnel, openswan will only use
> the road warrior tunnel.

Note that openswan picks a name for the phase1 part, which might change
upon getting further into the negotiation. So it can "switch" the
connection to the right one.

If this is a linux-linux tunnel, the easy solution is to use raw RSA
with leftid=@somestring and rightid=@otherstring. That should nail the connection
down properly in phase 1 to only that one tunnel connection.