[Openswan Users] Openswan to Sonicwall - IKE config incorrect

Lawrence Manning lawrence.manning at smoothwall.net
Thu Mar 12 13:32:33 EDT 2009

On 12 Mar 2009, at 17:24, Peter Butler wrote:

> Ah, I think NAT might be the problem. According to this, my network
> provider (Vodafone UK) uses NAT and port address translation:
>
> http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7813
>
> Does this mean I won't be able to use Openswan (or any other IPSec
> client) with this network provider?

NAT-T mode IPSec (network packets encapsulated in UDP packets as
opposed to ESP) should pass through vodafone's NATing gateway just
nicely.

Openswan (and other 'swans) support NAT-T, assuming the config as
"nat_traversal=yes".

Hope that helps,

--

Lawrence Manning
Lead Developer

SmoothWall Limited
1 John Charles Way
Leeds LS12 6QA
United Kingdom

Phone:
1 800 959 3760 (USA, Canada and North America)
0870 1 999 500 (United Kingdom)
+44 870 1 999 500 (all other countries)
Fax:
+44 870 1 991 399

SmoothWall Limited is registered in England, Company Number: 4298247

This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential to
the intended recipient(s) and may not be communicated to any other
person or published by any means without the permission of SmoothWall
Limited.  Any opinions stated in this message are solely those of the
author.  See: http://smoothwall.net/company/email.php for the full
text of this notice.