[Openswan Users] Problems with lt2p/ipsec

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 07:32:12 EDT 2009

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
>>     That is what I installed. About starting the ppp daemon and creating
>> ppp0 I thought I could do so (at least until satisfied it works when I
>> do manually) by
>>
>> /etc/init.d/ipsec restart
>> ipsec auto --up l2tpTest
>> echo "c L2TPserver" > /var/run/xl2tpd/l2tp-control
>
> is xl2tpd running? Did you configure it? What do the logs say?
>
>> route add -net 0.0.0.0 dev ppp0
>
> This should not be neccessary.

	Understood. But right now, once I got it running it did not add any
route to my table. Knowing the subnet being provided by the server is
192.168.5.0/24, I ended up doing

route add -net 192.168.5.0 dev ppp0

I still have to figure out why it is ignoring the vlan dns, but it is
progress.

>> [global]                                ; Global parameters:
>>    port = 1701                          ; * Bind to port 1701
>>    listen-addr = 127.0.0.1
>
> Are you doing portforwarding from your public ip to 127.0.0.1?

	I see your point. I guess I should do port forwarding to the ip
assigned by the openswan server to my laptop. Problem is I do not know
what it is. So, I commented the listen-addr entry off which I guess
means it will now listen to everyone (0.0.0.0)

>> ; Connect to the vpn server shop.server.com
>> [lac L2TPserver]
>
> You don't need a lac section if you use xl2tpd as a daemon on
> the openswan server.

	Could you elaborate on that? I was able to get it to work but only with
the lac session.

>> lns = shop.server.com
>> require chap = yes
>> refuse pap = yes
>> require authentication = yes
>> ; Name should be the same as the username in the PPP authentication!
>> name = raub
>
> You dont need a namesetting. just use /etc/ppp/chaps.secret for all
> the names, passwords and ip addresses.

	You know, I googled and googled and just could not find any info on
chaps.secret. I know, shame on me...