[Openswan Users] Linksys device as gateway

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Jun 12 21:53:07 EDT 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Jason Brooks wrote:

> I have a linksys rvs4000 in our server room.  in theory, it can do

> Apparently this device can do ipsec, or even ipsec passthrough.  I am
> somewhat confused by linksys's terminology though.

It actually runs either freeswan or (and older version of ) openswan
inside.

> Can I use this linksys device as an openswan end point, or does it
> need to be a linux gateway running openswan?

You should be able to use it. I am not sure how much of the functionality
of *swan is exported to the GUI of that particular linksys.

Openswan is very RFC compliant, and should interop with other IPsec products
that do not use proprietary extensions to the IPsec protocol.