[Openswan Users] openswan VPN problems

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed Jul 29 08:34:29 EDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Ni Wenjuan wrote:

> hi, I encounter some problems when I using openswan-2.6.31 to configure a VPN.
>
> Fist , when I start ipsec service with the command "ipsec setup start", the
> information " padlock: VIA padlock not detected" shows on the screen.
>
> Second, when I do "ipsec auto --up vpn " it just shows the following information
>
> 104 "net-to-net" #1: STATE_MAIN_I1: initiate
> 003 "net-to-net" #1: received Vendor ID payload [Openswan (this version) 2.6.31]
> 003 "net-to-net" #1: received Vendor ID payload [Dead Peer Detection]
> 003 "net-to-net" #1: received Vendor ID payload [RFC 3947] method set to=109
>
> and after a few secods the information "padlock: VIA padlock not detected"
> appears again.

That message only appears on startup when modprobe'ing modules. This
means your openswan is crashing and restarting. I suggest you add

dumpdir=/var/run/pluto
ipsecrestartoncrash=false

to "config setup" in ipsec.conf, and debug what's going on with the pluto
core dump in /var/run/pluto. (you might need to change ulimit settings or
sysctl settings to allow core dumps)