[Openswan Users] Multiple L2TP clients behind same NAT - is there a solution yet?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Jul 21 23:29:16 EDT 2009

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Danilo Godec wrote:

>> We have a situation in which several VPN users are sitting in the same
>> office and so are behind the same NAT device, all using the same
>> public IP. Looking around the ‘net I found several references about
>> the OpenSwan team being working on that issue, in posts from several
>> years ago.
>>
>> My question is in which state is this issue at the moment, since I
>> need some answer to that problem in case these users aren’t allowed to
>> use a site-to-site VPN (since it’s an external company).

> Have you ever received an answer or found a solution? I have the exact
> same issue.

If you want to do this, you will need to use openswan 2.6 (or prob better
using openswan-saref-2.5s/openswan-2.5.64s.tar.gz) with the KLIPS stack,
and port/apply the kernel patch in the latest openswan-2.6.22/ng-patch
or patches/ directory (saref patch)

It won't be easy to port this to a modern kernel then 2.6.15...