[Openswan Users] Bridging

Beau Sapach beau.sapach at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 16:55:53 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

My apologies if this topic has already been covered on this list at
length but I haven't gone through the list archives to search since
they're all gzipped.  I currently have a Fedora 10 firewall that is
bridging traffic between its two interfaces.  I'd like to establish a
VPN connection using Openswan on this system to conect to a
(presumably) Cisco endpoint.  I'm hoping to simply add the ipsec0
interface to the bridge using the brctl utility the same way I add the
eth0 and eth1 interfaces.  I'm then hoping to control the flow of
traffic over the ipsec0 interface using ebtables.

I've been trying to get a working model of this scenario running in
vmware workstation with little success.  If anyone out there has a
similar setup working or if you can definitively say I'm wasting my
time because it's not possible please let me know!

Also if you know of any problems using Openswan in virtual machines,
any help there would be appreciated...  So far I constantly have pluto
crashing on the end of the tunnel that does NOT initiate the
connection, at least for the initial connection attempt.

I have been working with a 2.6 kernel and Openswan 2.6.22.

Cheers!

Beau