[Openswan Users] Openswan uses only the last defined connection

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Wed Jan 28 13:57:59 EST 2009

When using PSKs and road warriors (right=%any) all connections must use the same PSK.
PSKs cannot be defined by id in the secrets file, they must use IP address (or %any).
This is because the PSK is sent before the id, so it doesn't know which PSK to compare
to except by IP address.

You can solve this by using RSA keys instead of PSKs which is more secure anyway.
With RSA keys the id is sent with the key and the whole problem is avoided.
RSA keys are the default for Openswan. See doc/install.html and doc/config.html,
ipsec newhostkey and ipsec showhostkey for details on using RSA keys.

I believe it is also possible to pass the id with PSKs with aggressive mode, but
as this weakens your security further, I don't recommend it.

Peter McGill
IT Systems Analyst
Gra Ham Energy Limited