[Openswan Users] Why won't the tunnel come up? (Was: Config file Question.)

Magnus Holmberg magnus.holmberg at pepto.se
Mon Feb 23 11:12:09 EST 2009

Just recieved an e-mail saying that they use 256 bit so I changed the
config to:

ike=aes256-sha1-modp1024
esp=aes256-sha1

Now it seems to pass step 1 and in it stays with:

Feb 23 17:05:41 fw pluto[19900]: "VPN" #17: initiating Quick Mode
PSK+ENCRYPT+TUNNEL+UP to replace #16 {using isakmp#3}
Feb 23 17:06:51 fw pluto[19900]: "VPN" #17: max number of
retransmissions (2) reached STATE_QUICK_I1.  No acceptable response to
our first Quick Mode message: perhaps peer likes no proposal
Feb 23 17:06:51 fw pluto[19900]: "VPN" #17: starting keying attempt 12
of an unlimited number
Feb 23 17:06:51 fw pluto[19900]: "VPN" #18: initiating Quick Mode
PSK+ENCRYPT+TUNNEL+UP to replace #17 {using isakmp#3}

What could be the problem here? Is there some more debug info I can turn on?

I realy hope that the book "/Building and Integrating Virtual Private
Networks with Openswan/ " that I have ordered will arrive soon. I will
surely need it.

BR

Magnus