[Openswan Users] OpenSwan and iPhone

Graeme Peart graemepeart at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 30 14:24:23 EST 2009

Paul,

I can create a connection from the iPod to the server immediately after
restarting ipsec.  Disconnecting the iPod and then trying again the server
gets as far as "STATE_QUICK_R2: IPsec SA established" but does not seem to
start the l2tp phase.

I found your article "L2TP using PSK confirmed working on iphone 3.0 and
ipod touch 2.2.1" which states "The tests I did was with openswan-2.4.15 and
xl2tpd 1.2.4. due to bug #1004, you should not use openswan-2.6.x.".

In "Building <http://techbus.safaribooksonline.com/1904811256>  and
Integrating Virtual Private Networks with Openswan" I also see "There are
still some Mac OS X interoperability problems with NAT-T because Apple did
not correctly implement the NAT-T specifications. Currently, the initial
connection will work fine, but at rekey time, the connection will fail."

The only difference in the later logs that I could find was "keeping
refhim=4294901761 during rekey".

Another thing, I don't see any logging that indicates the ipsec tunnel has
been disconnected.

Seems like I'm hitting some known issues.  I'd appreciate if you copuld
point me in the right direction.

Graeme