[Openswan Users] Weird xl2tpd behavior with HSDPA

Kristian Evensen kristian.evensen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 14:01:42 EST 2009

Hello,

I have set up an l2tp tunnel using xl2tpd over an HSDPA-connection and
have got it working. However, after benchmarking it (by transfering big
files from a nearby server and measuring the average throughput), I
noticed something strange - the performance of TCP with the tunnel is
better than without. Now, I am not complaining, but I am a little bit
curious as to what causes this. Has anyone experienced similar or have
any ideas?

What happens, at least according to the packet captures, is that one
packet is lost which causes several dupAcks to be sent and without the
tunnels it takes significantly longer before the retransmission is
received. Also, there seems to be more packet loss without the tunnel,
but as far as I can tell that is random since l2tp does not provide any
reliability. Or have I misunderstood something?

For xl2tpd I have disabled flow control and debugging, which did not
seem to affect the situation. For without tunneling, I have tried
clamping the MSS to be the same size as in the tunnel (MTU used there is
1410 bytes) without any effect.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kristian