[Openswan Users] Winxp could not connect to Linux OPENSWAN server

shawnlau net17sharplau at 163.com
Fri Apr 10 08:25:58 EDT 2009

Hi all !

         My openswan configure of LINUX VPN SERVER like below: it's almost
copy from /etc/ipsec.d/example/l2tp-cert.conf

conn l2tpx509

        authby=rsasig

        rekey=no

        ikelifetime=8h

        keylife=1h

        type=transport

        left=10.255.255.8

        leftid=%fromcert

        leftrsasigkey=%cert

        leftcert=westcert.pem

        leftprotoport=17/1701

        right=%any

        rightca=%same

        rightrsasigkey=%cert

        rightprotoport=17/%any

        rightsubnet=vhost:%priv,%no

        pfs=yes

        auto=add

In this configure , I have a question. Which certificate file should be set
on leftcert=, the westcert.pem (my vpn gateway's pem file) or winxp.pem (the
pem file for winxp client)

After this config, In my winxp client , I have used ipsec.exe, and the
config file like below:

conn l2tpx509

         left=%any

         right=10.255.255.8

         rightca="C=CN, S=JiangSu, O=NewPower, OU=CoreTech, CN=RootCASrv,
E=net17shawnlau at gmail.com"

         network=auto

         autp=start

         pfs=yes

conn l2tpx509-net

         left=%any

         right=10.255.255.8

         rightsubnet=192.168.88.128/25

         rightca="C=CN, S=JiangSu, O=NewPower, OU=CoreTech, CN=RootCASrv,
E=net17shawnlau at gmail.com"

         pfs=yes

         network=auto

         auto=start

When I boot ipsec.exe, from winxp client I ping the hosts of vpn network.
But result always: Negotiating IP Security

I have made a new key and pem file for windows, and transform the to PKCS#12
file. But the error still like above.

3kx and regards!

Shawn