[Openswan Users] Host-To-Host over NAT

Lipinski, Steven L (Steve) lipinski at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed Apr 8 14:38:06 EDT 2009

I'm trying to configure two systems (both running Openswan on RedHat) to
establish an IPSec tunnel.  This is strictly a host-to-host connection,
and I believe I need to use transport mode (I don't believe tunnel mode
will work given our restrictions).  The trick is that one or both hosts
may be behind a NAT device, and the mate host need not be configured
with the private IP Addressing information used behind the NAT device.

So, for example:

Host_A ------- Unsecure Network -------- NAT_Device --------------
Host_B
10.20.30.40                       50.60.70.80  192.168.0.1
192.168.0.2
   |============================ Tunnel =============================|

The desire is to configure Host_A so that it is unaware of the
192.168.0.0/24 network;  Host_B is fully aware of it's connectivity
through NAT and is aware of the forwarding, etc.; and Host_A and Host_B
are the IPSec endpoints and not the NAT Device.

We configured forwarding on the NAT Device so it forwards all UDP/500
and UDP/4500 traffic to Host_B. Note, however, that the tunnel needs to
be able to be initiated from either side...  So, a standard road-warrior
configuration won't work.

Is this possible with Openswan?  We have tried numerous things to no
avail...