[Openswan Users] OpenSwan not working with nat-t

CrashOverload at gmx.de CrashOverload at gmx.de
Mon Apr 6 05:56:14 EDT 2009

Hi,

following situation. Must set up a site-to-site vpn with an ipsec gateway which I cannot configure and got no information about the device (model, supported features,... )

I got only the following information about encryption and that the remote gateway is supporting NAT-T:

3 des  sha1 group 2

And that´s my part of the vpn:

My IPsec server is behind a firewall and the firewall is NATting the ipsec-server´s private ip to an public ip.

ipsec-server----Firewall-with-nat----remote-ipsec-gateway----server

here are my openswan configuration:

config setup
        forwardcontrol=yes
        nat_traversal=yes
        protostack=netkey
        virtual_private=%v4:192.168.168.66/32,192.168.156.55/32

conn vpn
        auth=esp
        authby=secret
        auto=add
        forceencaps=yes
        left=77.88.99.21        #Local Public IP
        leftid=77.88.99.21
        leftsubnet=192.168.168.66/32
        pfs=yes
        right=112.113.114.115   #Remote Public IP
        rightid=112.113.114.115
        rightsubnet=192.168.156.55/32
        type=tunnel

Output of IPSEC VERIFY:

Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.6.14/K2.6.18-92.el5 (netkey)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [OK]
NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP send_redirects       [OK]
NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP accept_redirects     [OK]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)               [OK]
Checking that pluto is running                                  [OK]
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding            [OK]
Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing                                  [OK]
Checking for 'ip' command                                       [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]

Opportunistic Encryption DNS checks:
   Looking for TXT in forward dns zone: vpn.local      [MISSING]
   Does the machine have at least one non-private address?      [FAILED]

Is there anything in the configuration missing or wrong?