[Openswan Users] Destination Host Unreachable.

Igor Widlinski igor.widlinski at eigendev.com
Thu Sep 25 16:30:48 EDT 2008

Hey guys,

I am having issues with routing. Basically I'm receiving Destination Host
Unreachable from the client when I try to ping networks that are not
specified in leftsubnet ie. external internet (google.ca etc). Basic setup
of the network is as follows:

10.10.10.0/24===10.1.1.2...10.1.1.3;

Logical Setup:
Internet..InternalNet...Nat...OpenSwanServer...Client

Ips:
Client 10.1.1.3
SwanServer: 10.1.1.2
Nat -> 10.1.1.2 to 10.10.10.120
InternalNet 10.10.10.0/24
Internet ??

Basically I can Ping all hosts on 10.10.10.x from the client. So this is
fine. I'd like to be able for the client to be able to access internet
through OpenSwan server, or any other networks that are connected to our
internal network.

.conf file:

conn net1
	leftsubnet=10.10.10.0/24
	also=base

conn base
	authby=secret
	ike=3des-md5
	esp=3des-md5
	pfs=yes
	left=10.1.1.2
	right=10.1.1.3
	auto=add

iptables -L

ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
RULE_0     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
RULE_0     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
RULE_0     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW

Chain RULE_0 (3 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            LOG level
info prefix `RULE 0 -- ACCEPT '
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

When pinging google.com from client I receive:

>From xxx (10.1.1.3) icmp_seq=xxx Destination Host Unreachable

I know I am missing something in the configuration, but I have no idea
what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Igor Widlinski