[Openswan Users] Question about IPsec\L2tp

Eugenio Vescovi eugevesco at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 07:50:26 EDT 2008

Hi all,
I want to establish a VPN IPsec\L2tpd between my roadwarrior and my computer on my office's LAN.
The ipsec tunnel comes up easily, but I've got some doubts about it.
Altough IPsec tunnel is up, from my client side I can't ping the Openswan gateway inside my LAN, moreover I can't reach the server in order to establish the L2tp connection.
I try to explain myself better...
If I try to establish the L2tpd connection without establishing before the IPsec connection, I can see clearly the l2tp packets exchanging from client to server(but the tunnel won't come up, anyway...), but if I try to do it after the IPsec tunnel is up, I can only see ESP packets from client to server, and it looks like the server is unreachable.
I tried both with Linux client and WinXP client, but neither work.
Can you tell me where's the problem?
I supposed I have to modify something in order to make the tunnel allow UDP port 1701, am I right?

Thank you all in advance.