[Openswan Users] Multiple subnets through 1 tunnel

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Tue Sep 9 11:46:26 EDT 2008

Andy,

Openswan does not allow you to route traffic into the tunnel.
Only traffic within the subnet definitions is routed into the tunnel.
The correct way to route an additional subnet is to add another tunnel.
Create a duplicate conn definition with a new name and the new subnet.
Have the admin of the remote device add the new subnet.

Note with new versions, I believe 2.6.x you can add multiple subnets
in a single conn definition with rightsubnets="192.168.2.0/24, 172.16.2.0/24".
However I am not sure if this is produces a single tunnel or still multiple
tunnels (one per subnet).

Peter McGill
IT Systems Analyst
Gra Ham Energy Limited