[Openswan Users] Roadwarrior conn problem: need right IP address?

OCG Technical Support support at ocg.ca
Wed Oct 15 19:40:02 EDT 2008

I'm setting up a VPN gateway with the conn setup listed below.  I'm
following the example on page 120 of the "OpenSwan" book - which lists this
config as allowing any roadwarrior to connect, so long as their cert has
been signed by a CA trusted by my ipsec gateway.

On trying to bring up the connection, I get:

029 "vpn-incoming": cannot initiate connection without knowing peer IP
address (kind=CK_TEMPLATE)

Here is the conn file:

conn vpn-incoming

        left=%defaultroute

        leftcert=firewall-cert.pem

        right=%any

        rightid="C=CA, ST=Prov, L=City, O=MyCoName, OU=VPNIN, CN=OCG"

        rightrsasigkey=%cert

        auto=add

So....Why would ipsec want an IP address for right?  I'm using "%any" which
should allow, well...any IP.

Thanks,

MD