[Openswan Users] Fail over IP + Openswan: Building and Integrating Virtual Private Networks

Igor Widlinski igor.widlinski at eigendev.com
Sat Oct 11 16:16:03 EDT 2008

Hey Ken,

Nice to meet you, and thanks for the reply.

I am going to talk to the programmers here to see if they can come up with
something, otherwise just gotta think it through and come up with a
script. Fortunately the server/client on the other side of VPN does use
DPD and we've got that working. It is pretty simple actually once both
sides support it.

I wonder why there is only couple of options for when dead peer is
detected.. ie hold, restart... It would be nice if we could just specify a
scrip to execute when a peer is detected dead.
ie. dpdaction=/path/to/script.

Also we ended up buying the book, and as you said chapter 11 does not
solve the above issue, but the book is still an awesome resource to help
to get openswan going. We've added extra parameters to our config, as well
as learned more technical insight into how ipsec with openswan works.

Thanks!