[Openswan Users] VPN tunnel works from VM but not from the real machine.

Piotr Kozikowski piotr.kozikowski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 09:00:27 EST 2008

Hi,

I can't get a VPN connection to a corporate server to work. The topology is
the following:

PC (10.150.93.130 static IP) -- ISP -- Internet - Server (208.96.16.212) -
Private subnet (10.100.11.0)

When I start openswan and sniff the packets, I see that my machine is
sending ISAKMP (UDP 500) packets to the server, but it's not getting any
response.

>From this you would think that there is simply some firewall blocking the
connection, but if I start openswan from within a virtual machine that
shares the internet connection with the host PC, and has an internal IP
192.168.0.2, the tunnel is established successfully. I still can't use VPN
from the VM because apparently Internet Connection Sharing on the host does
not support ESP encapsulated packets, so they are dropped and never make it
out of the VM.

Any ideas as to why I can only establish a tunnel from the VM, which just
adds an additional NAT layer to the otherwise identical connection?

Thank you

Piotr