[Openswan Users] Trying to use linux as VPN client

Sebastiaan van Erk sebster at sebster.com
Thu Nov 20 13:34:14 EST 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, and I figured as much, however I don't know what
part of the proposal the other end does not like... Also, I'm a bit of a
newbie, so I don't know what the STATE_QUICK_I1 means; does it mean that
   something succeeded (the STATE_AGGR_I2 stuff)? It already took me a
couple hours to actually get it that far, at first that was failing too...

In GTA client I have the following settings under "Phase 1
(Authentication) (other than my preshared key and remote gateway):

IKE:
Encryption AES192, Authentication: SHA, Key Group: DH1024.

Under "Advanced" it has:
Aggressive mode enabled, NAT-T: Automatic (vs Disabled)
Local id: Type: email, value: sebster at sebster.com
Remote id: Type IP, value: the ipsec gateway

In GTA client I have the following settings under "Phase 2 (IPSec
Configuration):

ESP
Encryption: AES192, Authentication: SHA, Mode: Tunnel (oops, in my
config file I had mode transport, so I guess that's wrong, fixed it now
and put it on mode tunnel, but it still gives the same output).

PFS is checked, Group DH1024

Those are all the options available.

Is there a good way to debug this? I guess it's part of the security
that the other hand just plain says nothing instead of saying what's wrong.

Regards,
Sebastiaan