[Openswan Users] Facing a problem with updown script

Anirudh Kamatgi akamatgi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 07:50:10 EST 2008

Hi,
I am noticing a strange problem with the way Iam trying to use updown
script.
I have a custom updown script written in perl.
Whenever this script gets called with 'down-client', I want to parse the
output of 'ipsec auto --status' inside this script.
I am assigning the output to a perl array( my @status = `ipsec auto
--status`; ).
However, the script hangs at this point.
After this all ipsec commands( executed from command line ) hang.

Iam issuing the command 'ipsec auto --down <connection name' which results
in the updown script getting called.

I can see 2 shell processes executing the <path to ipsec>/ipsec/auto command
and one whack process.
After I kill the whack process, things get back to normal.

What is happening here?
Any help is appreciated.