[Openswan Users] ipsec.conf details for a regular client-to-gateway connection

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Nov 13 17:01:18 EST 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Thomas Novin wrote:

> My client is a Linux PC behind NAT, coming from various IP-adresses.
>
> The other end is some Linksys VPN router and it's configured like this:
>
> Access to: 10.1.1.0/24
>
> Phase 1 DH Group 2
> Phase 1 Encrypt 3DES
> Phase 1 Auth MD5
> Phase 1 SA Life-time 28800s
> PFS yes
>
> Phase 2 DH Group 2
> Phase 2 Encrypt 3DES
> Phase 2 Auth MD5
> Phase 2 SA Life-time 3600s
>
> Agressive mode
>
> NAT-t
>
> PSK: xxx
>
> What I've come up with so far:
>
> conn test
>     auto=add
>     left=%defaultroute
>     #leftid=@test
>     right=33.33.33.33
>     rightsubnet=10.1.1.0/24
>     rightid=%any

You need to set an explicit ID when using aggressive mode and PSK,
for both leftid= and rightid=, because you can't trust the IP address
for that, since it is dynamic.

>     keyingtries=3
>     pfs=yes
>     #pfsgroup=modp1024
>     auth=esp
>     authby=secret
>     esp=3des-md5-modp1536

Use esp=3des-md5;modp136 in newer openswan versions. Or leave out the modp
bit, eg esp=3des-md5, and it will pick it up from the ike= line.

>     ike=3des-md5-modp1536

Don't set the modp in esp, the modp from ike will be used.