[Openswan Users] Problems, virtual ip, leftsubnet..

tobias.gruber at uni-ulm.de tobias.gruber at uni-ulm.de
Fri Nov 7 12:05:06 EST 2008

hello,

how can I give the roadwarrior a local IP ? leftsourceip?

I have a Roadwarrior szenario. And I want to get on the Squid, which
is on the same PC as the Openswan server.

I have a connection from the rw to the server. And I can ping him
through the tunnel. But if I want to use the proxy (squid) through the
tunnels, it doesnt work. The packets are send to the server, but the
squids requests are send back in the tunnel instead of sending them
direct to the internet.

the server is behind a router with NAT:

On the server I have :
conn test
   left=%defaultroute
   leftnexthop=192.168.2.1   <- router ip or must I use rightnexthop?
   leftsubnet=192.168.2.0/24    192.168.2.5 is the IP from the server
   leftid=@server.test.de
   right=%any
   authby=secret
   auto=add

must I enter rightsubnet?
or leftsourceip=10.10.10.1 ?
The client goes over UMTS Card into the internet.

conn
   left=%defaultroute   or is this right??
   leftid=@client1.test.de   or rightid?
   right=vpntest....dyndns.org   #routers ip, he forwards them to the
server machine
    rightsubnet=192.168.2.0/24
   authby=secret
   auto=add

do I need leftsubnet? I have entered 0.0.0.0/0, otherwise it doesnt
work. and in the server config rightsubnet 0.0.0.0/0. But this is
false, because the server cant send packets direct to the internet,
because all traffic goes in the tunnnel.

I dont understand on your manpage what you mean with right left. In
some cases you say left is the machine, on which the config is. In
other texts you say left is always e.g. the gateway. And on both
configs is the same.

Regards
Tobias