[Openswan Users] Configuring a vpn connection on kubuntu 8.0.4

Rohnny Moland rmoland at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:31:36 EDT 2008

Hello!

We have a vpn solution using sonicwall at work, and I try to connect
to this from home. I am using linux both at work and home, so windows
is not an alternative. For those using windows, they connect by using
a username, password and ip address. Thats all.

So, I belive I can use openswan for this, but I am not a vpn guru.
Using windows the negotiate phase I parameters we use are
- 3DES-CBC 192 bits encryption algorithm
- SHA hash algorithm
- XAuth initiator with pre-shared key
- Diffie-Hellman group 2 (alternate 1024-bit)

..and phase II negotiate parameters:
- Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) protocol
- UDP Encapsulation Tunnel mode
- 3-DES encryption algorithm (192 bit)
- HMAC-SHA hash algorithm
- Diffie-Hellman group N/A

Furthermore, I am behind a NAT firewall at home.

My first question is: Can I use openSwan for this? And if so, what do
I have to do to get it working? Any templates of the necessary
configuration files or GUI I can use to configure it? Do I just have
to start the ipsec service to get a connection? Do I need to specify
more credentials that the sername/password that I got at work?

Kind regards,
Rohnny