[Openswan Users] initial Main Mode message received on X:500 but no connection has been authorized

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed May 14 02:08:20 EDT 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Thomas Novin wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 11:15 +0200, Thomas Novin wrote:
> > I have read "all" documentation that I've come across but I could not
> > find an example with a dynamic client behind NAT that is to connect to a
> > vpn gateway with public IP.
> >

> No need for a reply. I switched to OpenVPN and managed to get it up and running in 10 minutes. Well documented with man-pages, HOWTO's, FAQ and Examples, see www.openvpn.net.
>
> There even was an addon for NetworkManager so you can configure/start/stop your client connections from there.

I hope you generated these keys on non-debian/ubuntu machines, or else you are now
running with vulnerable keys......

(see various news sources on "debian openssl bug")

Yes. IPsec is harder to setup then Openvpn. But if offers more and scales much better,
neither of which will matter much to a 1-3 user system.