[Openswan Users] initial Main Mode message received on X:500 but no connection has been authorized

Thomas Novin thnov at xyz.pp.se
Mon May 12 05:15:28 EDT 2008

Hello

I have read "all" documentation that I've come across but I could not
find an example with a dynamic client behind NAT that is to connect to a
vpn gateway with public IP.

My setup is like this: Laptop with dynamic IP-adres (changes all the
time). Right now, nat:ed but should be able to use the VPN from static
IP as well.

conn laptop
        left=<ip of gateway>
        leftsubnet=10.0.0.0/24
        leftid=@mistik
        leftrsasigkey=<ipsec showhostkey --left on gateway>
        leftnexthop=
        right=%any
        rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv
        rightid=@laptop
        rightrsasigkey=<ipsec showhostkey --right on client/laptop>
        rightnexthop=%defaultroute
        authby=rsasig
        auto=add

I have this entry on both machines exactly the same.

When I try to connect from the laptop to mistik I get this in my log on
the gateway:

May  9 15:03:55 mistik pluto[15388]: packet from x.x.x.x:474: initial
Main Mode message received on <ip of gateway>:500 but no connection has
been authorized

After reading some on this problem I find a lot about nat traversal not
being active. I my case, it is, both on client and server.

Both machines are running Ubuntu Hardy.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me!

Rgds