[Openswan Users] problem with KLIPS patch for linux 2.6.18

Sambuddho Chakravarty sc2516 at columbia.edu
Fri Jun 27 14:16:08 EDT 2008

Hello All
 I created a patch for linux 2.6.18 from the openswan source by the
following command :

make kernelpatch2.6 > klipskernelpatch.diff

Next I compiled the kernel with this klipskernelpatch.diff. While
compilation I turned the PF_KEY to <M>, IPSEC_AH to <M> and IPSEC_ESP
<M>  and Openswan KLIPS to <*> leaving the rest of the stuff as it is.

Compilation succeeds and I reboot to the new kernel. I try to do a
/etc/init.d/ipsec start. It shows the following error

ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 2.6.14...
ipsec_setup: NO NETKEY support found
ipsec_setup: kernel appears to lack IPsec support (neither CONFIG_KLIPS
or CONFIG_NET_KEY are set)

However I am sure the kernel is successfully compiled with KLIPS as when
I do ipsec --version it show :

Linux Openswan 2.6.14 (klips)

Moreover, the command 'ipsec verify' reports the following :

Linux Openswan 2.6.14 (klips)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [OK]

This prevents ipsec connections being setup. What could possibly have
gone wrong ?

Thanks
Sambuddho