[Openswan Users] multiple subnets ?

Wolfgang Kueter wolfgang at shconnect.de
Wed Jun 25 08:10:12 EDT 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:

Hello

> Thanks for your quick responce. As you mentioned, I added 4 separate
> tunnels to the my linux box where OpenSwan is running.
>
> Then, I restarted the service. Now, I do not get such error.
> in a FEW seconds, I checked the status with below command.
>
> [root at firewall etc]# /etc/init.d/ipsec status
> IPsec running  - pluto pid: 12587
> pluto pid 12587
> 2 tunnels up
>
> It said, 2 tunnels up.
> Now, the question is, why it says 2 tunnels up, when I have 4 tunnels
> in ipsec.conf file?

Simply because a tunnel will not be established unless there is traffic
between the subnets at the ends of the tunnel.

You can however create a tunnel manually by

ipsec auto --up <name_of_the_tunnel>

> But, after 10 minutes, it said, 3 tunnels up. it took about 10 minutes
> to come up the 3 rd tunnel.
> Why is that?

see above, either create traffic by sending packets to the subnet at the
other end of the tunnel or establish the tunnel manually.

> but, yet 4 th tunnel has not come up. I am still waiting for it.

No tunnel unless data is sent to the subnet on the other side or coming
from there.

Wolfgang