[Openswan Users] Ipsec auto --up {tunnelname} hangs

Greg Scott GregScott at InfraSupportEtc.com
Fri Jun 20 13:00:59 EDT 2008

> There are actually 2 tunnels between this particular left side
> and the right side. One is a "static" tunnel - defined in the conn
> definition with auto=start - and the other is a "dynamic"
> tunnel - defined as above with auto=ignore.  ("Static" and "dynamic"
> are my descriptive words for this case.)

Oh yes - and why 2 tunnels from the same left side to the same right
side?  The left side has 2 LANs and my left side Linux router has 3
NICs.  (It actually has more than 3 NICs, but 3 relevant to this issue.)
One LAN needs a "static" tunnel, the other LAN normally routes via the
MPLS cloud and wants to use my stuff for backup routing.  The
interaction between the 2 LANs on the left side is strictly regulated.
Short answer - it's a couple of different departments of a big
organization and that's the way they want it.

- Greg