[Openswan Users] duplicate key error when ipsec auto --add connection

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed Jun 4 09:34:19 EDT 2008

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Liviu Nicoara wrote:

> I am trying for a couple of days now to set up a connection to my
> office using OpenSWAN 2.5.16, with little success.

> ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 2.5.16...
> ipsec_setup: FATAL ERROR: Both KLIPS and NETKEY IPsec code is present
> in kernel
> ipsec_setup: OOPS, should have aborted!  Broken shell!

This was fixed later on:

If using NETKEY, you can also put "protostack=netkey" in the "config setup"
section of ipsec.conf to bypass starting klips.

> Then, the script code which emits that "FATAL ERROR" is in
> /usr/local/lib/ipsec/_startklips:
> if test ! -f $ipsecversion && test ! -f $netkey; then

That line should be:

if test -f $ipsecversion && test -f $netkey

> Linux Openswan U2.5.16/K(no kernel code presently loaded)
> Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [FAILED]

That will get fixed by the above.

> Linux Openswan U2.5.16/K2.6.25.4 (netkey)
> Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [OK]

It found netkey anyway.

> tmp# ipsec auto --up theoffice
> 024 need --listen before --initiate

That is because you starten it differently. Do the one line fix
above and run the init script to start or run "ipsec setup start"