[Openswan Users] Openswan connecting to sonicwall

Mark-Temba Christensen MC at saa.dk
Wed Jul 23 10:06:33 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I am attempting to install an Ubuntu laptop with all the necessary
functions for our employees to use them instead of windows. VPN is the
last step but I am not well versed in VPN so please bear with me.

As far as I can see, openswan can communicate with sonicwall.

I would like to know if the config files are encrypted on the linux
boxes, please see below if this applies even though for Fedora 9. The
admins of our server side (out sourced) want to be reassured.

http://lists.openswan.org/pipermail/users/2008-June/014788.html

> Can I use PAM or some other currently existing auth scheme instead of
> chap-secrets?  (I suppose this is an xl2tpd question, but any advice?
> This would be the deal breaker, because I'm trying to avoid
foo-secret> plaintext password files.)

If you use X.509 certs (not PSK) then you have no plaintext passwords
anywhere. xl2tpd calls pppd which can call whatever you want with its
own auth modules (eg PAM or Radius)

Can openswan either import or "just" read .rcf and/or .spd config files?

Are there any special considerations for this VPN connection type I
should be aware of?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

regards