[Openswan Users] Using XAuth

Rajitha Reddy RReddy at mocana.com
Wed Jul 9 11:50:38 EDT 2008

Basically, I want to test my Xauth client using Openswan as Xauth Server. But, before I could do that, I was trying to see the working of Xauth using 2 openswan installations.

Today, my Openswan Xauth client asked me for a username and password.

[root]# /usr/local/sbin/ipsec auto --up machine1
104 "machine1" #1: STATE_MAIN_I1: initiate
003 "machine1" #1: received Vendor ID payload [Openswan (this version) 2.6.14 ]
003 "machine1" #1: received Vendor ID payload [Dead Peer Detection]
003 "machine1" #1: received Vendor ID payload [XAUTH]
106 "machine1" #1: STATE_MAIN_I2: sent MI2, expecting MR2
108 "machine1" #1: STATE_MAIN_I3: sent MI3, expecting MR3
003 "machine1" #1: received Vendor ID payload [CAN-IKEv2]
004 "machine1" #1: STATE_MAIN_I4: ISAKMP SA established {auth=OAKLEY_PRESHARED_KEY cipher=oakley_3des_cbc_192 prf=oakley_sha group=modp1536}
041 "machine1" #1: machine1 prompt for Username:
Name enter:   sample
040 "machine1" #1: machine1 prompt for Password:
Enter secret:
004 "machine1" #1: STATE_XAUTH_I1: XAUTH client - awaiting CFG_set
037 "machine1" #1: encountered fatal error in state STATE_XAUTH_I1

I created a file /etc/ipsec.d/passwd on both machines (xauth server and client) to contain the following:

Username:passwd:conn_name

And I entered these credentials when it asked me for username and password. Can you please tell me what I am missing? Is this the way to configure the credentials?

Also, the openswan xauth client will ask me for the user credentials only if I don't bring the connection up on the xauth server(but ipsec should be up). How does it work?

Thanks for your time.

- Rajitha.