[Openswan Users] Interoperability between Openswan and Freeswan

Arjun Datta arjun at greatgulfhomes.com
Mon Jan 28 11:12:43 EST 2008

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.  No, not win95 thankfully :-) My organisation
has a vpn server that is running freeswan 1.4 off RH 5.2. It's been
around for years.

I have been tasked with getting a new remote firewall running FC7 with
openswan to connect to the above.

I cannot simply replace the RH 5.2 vpn server because there are other
vpn servers in non-local locations who are using it.  They are all RH
9.  So unless I replace the 5.2 machine and ALL the other non-local
machines at the same time, I am stuck with it.

At this stage basic functionality is more important that security and
versatility.  If I can get the FC7 openswan to talk to and connect to
the RH 9 Freeswan, I'd be very content for the time being and then I can
make a case to replace all the other vpns servers over time.

I have made some progress and have the ipsec.secrets and ipsec.conf file
configured at both ends.

I am getting the following error when i restart ipsec on the freeswan side:

ipsec_setup: 102 "<conn_name>" #15: STATE_MAIN_I1: initiate
ipsec_setup: 010 "<conn_name>" #15: STATE_MAIN_I1: retransmission
ipsec_setup: 010 "<conn_name>" #15: STATE_MAIN_I1: retransmission
ipsec_setup: 031 "<conn_name>" #15: STATE_MAIN_I1: too many retransmissions
ipsec_setup: 000 "<conn_name>" #15: starting keying attempt 2 of an
unlimited number, but releasing whack

And I cannot ping either subnet from the other.

So before I started troubleshooting, I wanted to ensure that it is
possible to do what I am trying to do.

Regards,

Arjun Datta
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes