[Openswan Users] X509 problem, PAYLOAD_MALFORMED

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Mon Feb 25 06:11:46 EST 2008

Hideo GOTO wrote:

> With PSK, it (L2TP/IPsec) works perfect. When I try X509 based L2TP/IPSec
> connection to an Openswan 2.4.9 server from a WindowsXP(SP2) client, it
> aborts immediateley, and log shows "PAYLOAD_MALFORMED".

This is on a local test network, right? Then an MTU problem would be
unlikely. It could be an authentication problem due to mismatched
certificates.

Could you post the output of 'ipsec barf > output.txt' after you have
attempted
to connect, for example somewhere on a website? Or by private e-mail, if you
prefer.

Another option would be to examine Windows' Oakley.log but often this does not
result to much. It's undocumened and difficult to read.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl