[Openswan Users] mtu problems

James Muir muir.james.a at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 10:46:34 EST 2008

I am using Openswan 2.6.19 with the native 2.6 kernel ipsec stack (aka.
NETKEY) to connect to a Sonicwall vpn appliance.  More details about my
config can be found here:

http://lists.openswan.org/pipermail/users/2008-December/015923.html

I am having MTU issues.  I can send small packets through the tunnel but
not large ones.  For example,

this works:  ping -s 1402 172.20.1.1

this does not:  ping -s 1403 172.20.1.1

Sending large packets results in "ICMP destination unreachable
(fragmentation needed)" messages and the packets do not make it into the
private network.

There is a discussion titled "problems with packet fragmentation" in the
FreeS/WAN faq:

http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_snaps/CURRENT-SNAP/doc/background.html#MTU.trouble

The conclusion of that discussion seems to be to use the option

overridemtu=

in ipsec.conf.  However, this suggestion is specific to the KLIPS ipsec
stack; i.e. overridemtu= no effect with NETKEY.

Is there something analogous to overridemtu= that I can set with NETKEY?
   I have tried changing the MTU value on eth0 using ifconfig, but that
did not seem to help.

-James