[Openswan Users] IPsec tunnel with cisco Pix

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Fri Aug 22 10:34:05 EDT 2008

Victor,

Usually this is due to a misunderstanding of how the tunnel works.
You cannot "route" traffic into the tunnel via route or ip route,
like other networks. The only traffic to use the tunnel is packets
which match the leftsubnet and rightsubnet values. Packets which
match are automatically "routed" to the tunnel. Therefore you
Ping tests must also match leftsubnet and rightsubnet, meaning you
must ping from a host in leftsubnet (assuming left=local) to a host
in rightsubnet. If you do not specify leftsubnet and rightsubnet they
default to the value of left and right respectively. To help with
Routing the ipsec gateway to gateway traffic through the tunnel, you
Can add leftsourceip and rightsourceip lines specifying the private
ip addresses within leftsubnet and rightsubnet of each gateway.

The other likely cause is that your firewall is blocking the traffic,
you must allow both the ipsec protocol traffic and also the tunnelled
traffic.

If this explanation is unclear to you, and/or you still cannot get
it working, then send me an ipsec barf > ipsec_barf.txt and the
output of your ping test and a relevant tcpdump at the time of the test.
Be sure to clearly explain the computer from which you are pinging.
Also before you do the ipsec barf and tests, be sure that you have not
set plutodebug or klipsdebug in the ipsec.conf, they flood the logs
making them hard to read.

Peter McGill
IT Systems Analyst
Gra Ham Energy Limited