[Openswan Users] Anyone? Anyone? "Roadwarrior" to SonicWall VPNrouting issues

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Fri Apr 25 13:35:13 EDT 2008

Well I've never worked with XAUTH or a SonicWall specifically, but two general suggestions.
1) This might just be an email typo, but...
conn net2
    rightsubnet=192.168.2.0
should be
    rightsubnet=192.168.2.0/24

Otherwise from the information provided, I cannot see any problems, so...
2) Give us more information.
The output of...
ipsec barf
Preferably in an attachment and not the email body.
Note from man ipsec_barf:
    Barf  censors  its output, replacing keys and secrets with brief check-
    sums to avoid revealing sensitive information.
Also send us the SonicWall configuration information (without keys of course).

As for your firewall question, You need to allow the following in/out connections:
udp/isakmp (proto 17 port 500)
esp (proto 50)
And if using NAT-T
udp/4500 (proto 17 port 4500)
If the firewall is on the same computer as IPSec, then you'll also need to allow,
the private tunnelled traffic ie) to/from 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24.
If your using SNAT or MASQUERADE on your IPSec device, you'll need to exempt,
the private tunnelled traffic from that.
If the firewall is on a different computer between IPSec endpoints, then you'll need to
forward the above isakmp, esp and possibly NAT-T inbound to the IPSec router to accept
connections from the other side.

Peter McGill

  _____