[Openswan Users] traffic won't go into the tunnel

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Wed Oct 31 16:11:02 EDT 2007

Did you specify the leftsubnet and rightsubnet options?
Did you specify the leftsourceip and rightsourceip options?
Generally speaking the traffic entering the tunnel is automatically handled by ipsec.
I've never had to worry about it.
The catch is you need to define conn's for each subnet you want to go through the tunnel.
You can't use route or ip route to send traffic to the tunnel.
Show us your ipsec verify output to make sure your installed correctly.
Show us your confs so we can be sure it's setup correctly.
(You may edit out all but the first few characters of your public keys if you want...
Ie: leftrsasig=0xAb1f... And your public ip addresses if you want, ie: 142.128.92.x,
Although nothing in your conf should break your security only the secret file is really sensitive.)
Also describe how your testing, what local host is sending pings/traceroutes to which remote host, etc...
Do you have any NATing firewall rules, ie: SNAT rules?

Peter McGill