[Openswan Users] Newbie question: Using openswan as a proxy server

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Mon Oct 15 10:17:58 EDT 2007

Openswan uses IPSec to encrypt tcp/ip traffic between two host computers.
It can also tunnel traffic from networks connected to those computers through the encrypted connection.
It requires cooperation and setup/configuration between both end hosts.
It is a secure virtual private network tool, not a proxy server.
It is not designed to do what your requesting.
In theory you could setup a tunnel with a cooperating host in the US, which could forward traffic on your behalf.
However, you would either need to send all internet traffic down the tunnel or setup a separate tunnel for each
ip you wanted to connect to via the tunnel. Neither is a good solution.
Your probably better off investigating GRE to accomplish your goals.
But you'll still need a cooperating host in the US for GRE as well.
If you have a friend in the US to connect to, search the net for: gre linux
You should find lots of documentation on setting it up.

Peter McGill

  _____