[Openswan Users] openswan with sonicwall, payload malformed

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Wed Oct 3 04:41:51 EDT 2007

> I've posted a working config in the past. I was never able to get DHCP
> over
> VPN working at all.
>
> http://lists.openswan.org/pipermail/users/2007-March/012092.html
>
> If you use Ubuntu, do NOT install Racoon. It screwed things up in the end
> and isn't needed as far as I can tell.
>
> On 10/2/07, Marius Schrecker <marius at schrecker.org> wrote:

>> > Hello Paul W,
>> >
>> > Thank you for the suggestions, unfortunately, upgrading to 2.4.9 did
>> not
>> > change the behaviour.
>> >
>> > I also tried the modecfgpull=yes ( I also tried adding
>> > leftmodecfgclient=yes ) but no luck with either of these.
>> >
>> > I still see the "Mode Config message is unacceptable..."; This might
>> > indicate that modecfgpull is not going to work?
>> >
>> > ipsec verify asked me to turn off "enforced SElinux mode" which I also
>> > tried.
>> >
>> > I will check the Sonicwall f/w version at work Monday.
>> >
>> > Thanks again for the suggestions;
>> >
>> > PdP

>> Can

>> I'm having trouble configuring vpn from OpenSwan to Sonicwall TZ 170
>> fw: 3.1.0.12-86s,so am interested in hearing from anyone who has a
>> working
>> configuration.
>>
>> My problem is that the OpenSwan client doesn't get an IP on the vpn
>> subnet. Was interested to read (above) that "leftsubnet" should be left
>> out.
>>
>> Does anyone have a working config (preferably for an OpenSwan
>> RoadWarrior
>> authenticating against SonicWall OS standard?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Marius
>> Building and Integrating Virtual Private Networks with Openswan:
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1904811256/104-3099591-2946327?n=283155

Thanks for the link to the forum thread. I've followed the config as best
I can. Here are the points of divergence:
  ->using Xauth and agr. mode
  ->"set default route as this gateway" not available together with
     DefaultRoute 0.0.0.0 in SonicOS standard. Therefore not set.
  ->"Allow connections to Split Tunnels" to allow simultaneous internet
     and VPN access

I've tried both with and without leftsubnet in ipsec.my_connection.conf
leaving it out causes phase 2 to time out.

With leftsubnet in place I get complete authentication, but no
communication through VPN (no IP?)

I have tried doing a
# ip addr add 172.16.2.3/24  dev eth0 (yes, 255.255.255.0)
# ip route change default dev eth0 src 172.16.2.3

Doing a route I see a problem for the 172.16.2.0 network (of which VPN is
a part). Getting:

Destination