[Openswan Users] Help: Simple VPN creation

mohamed mydeen abmmydeen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 05:49:48 EST 2007

Hi Users,

I want to create simple VPN connection (through Internet) from computer
which is connected LAN to the other computer which is also connected in the
same LAN.  Both systems are running under SUSE Linux 10.1.

To achieve, this I have downloaded the following two Openswan sources from
the web

One is openswan-2.4.9.tar.gz

Second is

openswan-2.1.5-2suse9.i586.rpm
openswan-2.1.5-2suse9.src.rpm

What type of commands exactly should i use for building, installing,
compiling and creating tunnel to get VPN connection between my two computers
which is connected in the LAN ?

I have used the following commands for the above both packages. But I got
errors.  I cannot understand what it shows.

For the first source openswan-2.4.9.tar.gz, I have used the following
commands one by one.

Command 1: cd /usr/src/packages    for placing openswan-2.4.9.tar.gz
Command 2: tar zxvf openswan-2.4.9.tar.gz
Command 3: rpmbuild -bs openswan-2.4.9/packaging/suse/openswan.26spec
Command 4: rpmbuild -bb SRPMS/openswan-2.4.9-0suse9.src.rpm

For the second source openswan-2.1.5-2suse9.i586.rpm and
openswan-2.1.5-2suse9.src.rpm, I have used the following commands one by
one.

Command 1: rpm -ihv openswan-2.1.5-2suse9.src.rpm
Command 2: rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/packages/SPECS/openswan.26spec
Command 3: rpmbuild -bs /usr/src/packages/SPECS/openswan.26spec

Actually I have read that I can use any one method (whichever the sources is
available to the user) for building, installing and compiling and creating
VPN connection.
But I tried in both ways.  But I could not even complete the first step.

Kindly help me to create VPN connection between my systems.

Thanks & Regards,

Muhammad Muhyiddeen A