[Openswan Users] subnet-to-subnet VPN, doesn't route how I want

Simon Detheridge simon at widgit.com
Sun Nov 11 04:47:06 EST 2007

Hello,

I have a subnet-to-subnet VPN, which connects my local subnet,
192.168.2.x, to a remote one, 10.0.0.x.

On my side, I have a gentoo server running openswan and kernel-2.6. On
the other end, there is a sonicwall device.

The connection works fine, apart from one thing. All the machines on
my local network can ping machines on the remote network, with the
exception of the server itself. If I try ping 10.0.0.5, I get no
replies back. However, if I do a ping 10.0.0.5 -I 192.168.2.1, forcing
'ping' to bind to the LAN address (instead of the internet address, I
guess) it works.

I want packets that originate at the local server to always be able to
get to the remote network.

I think the normal way to achieve this is to set up a second host ->
subnet VPN tunnel, for the server in question. I can't do that here
however, as the sonicwall refuses to set up a second connection to the
same gateway IP address.

Is there anything I can do with iptables, or routing, that will enable
me to make this happen?

Thanks

--
Simon Detheridge
SEN Developer, Widgit Software

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email and any attachments are for the exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by return email and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your computer system.

Logotron is a limited company registered in England, number 04113866. The registered office is Logotron Ltd, 124 Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0ZS.