[Openswan Users] From static IP to Road Warrior

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Nov 9 12:14:59 EST 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, tohyob at virgilio.it wrote:

> leftid=@laptop
>         right=%defaultroute
>
> rightsubnet=192.168.100.0/24
>         rightid=@GSO
>
> leftrsasigkey=0sAQN7B.....
>         rightrsasigkey=0sAQNq0.....
>
> These
> configurations work well: when on the laptop I try "ipsec auto --up net-
> laptop" I can see "IPSEC SA established" (by means of "ipsec auto --
> status")
>
> Now let's suppose that I want make a road warrior out of the
> laptop: in GSO ipsec.conf I replace left and right this way:
> 	left=%any
> (I have tried also: left=0.0.0.0)
> 	right=85.A.B.C

>From the man page:

If it is %defaultroute, and the config
setup section’s,  interfaces  specification  contains  %default-
route,   left  will  be  filled  in automatically with the local
address of the default-route interface (as determined  at  IPsec
startup  time); this also overrides any value supplied for left-
nexthop. (Either left or right may  be  %defaultroute,  but  not
both.)  The  value %any signifies an address to be filled in (by
automatic keying) during negotiation.

In other words. On laptop, use left=%defaultroute and right=ip.gw
on the gateway use, left=ip.gw and right=%any