[Openswan Users] 2.4.8 klips and natt patches don't seem to work on kernels 2.6.20+

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed May 30 19:03:36 EDT 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, JOR HAY wrote:

> Perhaps I'm just missing something and OpenSWAN's klips and natt
> patches aren't supposed to work on new kernels, but, after OpenSWAN
> 2.4.8 came out and Fedora Core 6's updated kernel is 2.6.20, I wanted
> to build a new kernel with the klips and natt patches before I
> installed OpenSWAN 2.4.8.

Indeed. Don't use openswan 2.4.x KLIPS/NATT on kernels 2.6.19 and up.

The skb has changed so much that we do not want to try and make it
work on kernels 2.2 upto 2.6. Therefor, openswan 2.5.x will drop
support for older kernels and will focus on the 2.6 kernel.

> This same thing happens to 2.6.20.  2.6.18 is the only one I can get
> working.  Any idea on when there will be a fix for this -- or is this
> not supposed to work?  Fill me in!  Thanks

We want to provide seperate 2.6.20/2.6.21 nat-t patches for those kernels,
but have not done so.

On top of that, redhat implements kernel API changes one version before
it gets into the Linus vanilla kernel, so we can't use KERNEL_VERSION
reliable on RedHat kernels. So often features that change have an "off
by one" error in the kernel version for redhat kernels.