[Openswan Users] OpenSwan with XAUTH to sonicwall 2040

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Wed May 16 23:27:11 EDT 2007

I've posted the solution (minus XAUTH) in the list before.

http://lists.openswan.org/pipermail/users/2007-March/012092.html

There are a couple of things I need to update about that post. First, you
don't need Racoon (in fact, Racoon breaks Openswan in this configurationand)
and you can set the "left" value to %defaultroute in the event that your
local IP is set by DHCP.

A couple of notes on my experience thus far:

-XAUTH and Openswan seem to be incompatible for reasons I haven't
determined.
-You cannot require DHCP over VPN on the Sonicwall although you can allow
both static IPs and DHCP.
-I haven't gotten traffic flowing from the other side of the Sonicwall over
the VPN (IOW no SSH yet) I'm sure it's possible. Just haven't spent more
than 5 minutes on it.
-So far, only one PC per subnet seems to be able to connect via Openswan. If
I connect my computer upstairs, the VPN downstairs goes down. Haven't
explored this yet.

There you go. Good luck. I hope you can draw inspiration from my Ubuntu
configuration and apply it to Fedora Core.