[Openswan Users] not able to use compression

Jordan Paschalidis paschalidis at salt.xgroup.de
Tue May 15 09:54:39 EDT 2007

Hello all,

can someone tell me the right (Kernel-)settings to use openswan with
compression?
I tried different Kernel- and openswan-versions, all with the same result.
I didnt't worked.

The Problem i got is that the config is fine, the ipsec auto --status gives
  a 'policy: RSASIG+ENCRYPT+COMPRESS+TUNNEL+PFS+UP; prio: 24,24; interface:
eth0; ' and the compression is not working.
Packets are beeing tranported without Compression.

As difference i don't get any com*- or *DEFLATE*-entries in
/proc/net/ipsec_spi.

I tried 2.6.18.1 with openswan 2.4.6, tried 2.4.33 and 2.4.30 with 2.4.6
all with the same result.

As last test i used one contos 3 / vanilla-kernel 2.4.30 with openswan
2.4.6 and one redhat 9 with precompiled rpm from freeswan, again with the
same config and the compression worked.

So, could somebody help me to understand this?

greetings
Jordan